Tuck-Hinton Architecture & Design's office Studio at 508 Houston
The structure occupied by Tuck-Hinton is part of the old May Hosiery mill, a complex of buildings that fabricated socks, and hosiery from 1908 until 1965. The studio is located in one of Nashville’s artisan neighborhoods that is experiencing major growth and revitalization. Local artisans were engaged to fabricate key design features such as accent lighting, wall tile, and custom steel doors and windows. Design details were influenced by the buildings former life - gold accents used selectively in the space were inspired by the gold thread sewn into the socks, and the color blue recalls the knitting station numbers painted on the floor. A long raw plywood “gallery wall” bisects and organizes the space based on programmatic needs, and accommodates different uses such as artwork display, pinup space, marker boards, and storage. The building perimeter is kept open for access to daylight and views. Spaces were programmed to accommodate interaction and collaboration not only for the staff but to engage the community to display work, gather, and continue the innovative and collaborative spirit that is alive in the neighborhood.